Sunday, August 26, 2007

Harry Potter

Yes I got the last book written by J K Rowling, 'The Deathly Hallows'. I had read most of the previous stories. It has proved once again to be a book that I had to keep on reading to the end. I felt that I had been possessed by the story - nothing else mattered. A book of fiction, yet I, a factual person, have read it. But I have always been interested in 'Science Fiction', concepts and ideas that in time could affect our daily lives. Think of many inventions around today that may have been conceived in fiction. The laser beam has found many helpful uses since it was discovered. Used in hospitals and night clubs. The 'ray' gun in fictional stories. To me it seems magical that a device can point a beam at an engine and measure its temperature, or a distant object and measure how far away it is. No doubt it can be a weapon of destruction as well. Just like the wand in those magical stories.

Serendipity
It was unplanned. We were in the right place at the right time to see the Mikron Theatre. Made our way north and reached Norbury Junction and were told that the performance was tonight at 'The Anchor' about 2 miles further on. During a cool dry evening we watched the play outside in the pub garden. A story about Thomas Telford, son of a Scottish Shepard who became a Civil Engineer and designed many roads, bridges and canals. It was he who surveyed the very canal we are travelling on! The point was made that he was a well known Engineer and that these days in this country the architects are better known.

No comments: